Welcome to the section of the website where you can find out more about the school’s governors, and the work that we do. If you would like a copy of the latest approved minutes from the Governing Body please request via the school office.
Our main role is to challenge and support the school leaders. We help them to set and reach targets and to strive for excellence across the whole spectrum of school life.
Our legal duties include:
- Ensuring clarity of vision, ethos and strategic direction;
- Holding the headteacher to account for the educational performance of the school and it’s pupils;
- Overseeing the financial performance of the school and making sure its money is well spent and has an impact on school improvement.
How is the Governing Body formed?
At St Matthew’s we have nine governors in the Governing Body:
- Two Foundation Governors – representing the Church and appointed by St Matthew’s Church and the Rochester Diocese.
- Two Parent Governors – elected by the parents of children registered at the school.
- Two Co-opted Governors – recruited and appointed by the governors, often from the local community.
- Two Staff Governors – including the Headteacher and a further staff governor elected by staff.
- One Local Authority Governor- normally recruited by the governing body and then approved by the Local Authority or can be appointed by the Local Authority with agreement from the governing body. All governors have equal status, however they are appointed.
- In addition to the above the governing body does have the ability to appoint associate governors with specific skills and expertise, however they do not have a vote.
School Governor Information, St Matthew’s Primary School, September 2017
|Governor Type||Surname||First Name||Appointed by:||Start Date||End Date||Responsibilities||Register of Business Interests signed||Member of other Governing Bodies?||Any business or financial interests to declare?|
Assessment & Progress
|Associate member||MacDougall||Isobel||09.01.17||08.01.21||Pay Committee
|Ex Officio||Wicks||Chris||Rochester Diocese||12.11.01||N/A||Safeguarding
Leadership & Management
|Headteacher Governor (Executive HT)||Hayward||Stephanie||01.09.17||N/A||26.09.17||Speldhurst Primary School||N|
|Local Authority Governor||Stevenson||Karen||KCC||04.10.17||03.10.21||Chair of Governors
Leadership & Management
|26.09.17||Chair of Governors,
|Parent Governor||Smith||Mike||Parent election||01.12.16||30.11.20||Vice Chair of Governors
SEND and Pupil Premium
|Staff Governor||Hardwick||Tom||Staff election||14.03.15||13.03.19||26.09.17||N|
|Foundation Governor||Johnson||David||Rochester Diocese||01.11.14||31.10.17||Health & Safety
*ALL GOVERNORS SERVE A 4-YEAR TERM OF OFFICE
Clerk to the Governors: Mrs Ally Morris
Governors meet at least six times a year and are required to attend additional training sessions and seminars to help them do their job effectively. They also go into school to meet with the Head and other members of the management team and carry out regular monitoring visits on the schools priorities for improvement and development.
How to become a governor
If you are interested in finding out more information about the work of the governing body please do contact the school.
You can also find out more online at:-